- role of microorganisms in the evolution of life-history strategies in birds,
- reproductive ecology of birds – maternal effects, antimicrobial proteins (AMPs), antimicrobial components of egg-shell-pigmentation, AMPs; incubation pattern and behaviour,
- behavioural ecology – antipredator behaviour,
- physiological aspects of hormonal regulation in birds – comparative approach for the role of hormones in evolution of reproductive and life-history strategies in tropical and temperate birds.
- post-doc project in co-operation with RNDr. Petr Procházka, Ph.D. and his GACR Linking events through the annual cycle: the importance of carry-over effects for the ecology of migratory birds and doc. Josef Bryja, Ph.D. focused on the molecular analysis of feather bacterial load in long-distance migratory birds.
- main investigator:
- 2007–2009: project GAUK 151607/B-Bio/PřF – Functional ecology of nest construction and nest site selection in waterfowl.
- 2010–2011: project GAUK 147610/B-Bio/PřF – Effect of albumen antimicrobial proteins and intermittent incubation on reproductive success of precocial birds.
- 2006–2007: project GAUK 181/2005/B-BIO/PřF – Individual reprouctive strategies in Mallards studied by noninvasive approaches of molecular techniques.
- 2008–2010: project VaV SP/2D3/60/08 – Integrated research of the effects and consequences of artificially reared mallards (Anas platyrhynchos) on wetland ecosystems with the application of advanced ecological and molecular techniques.
- 2001–2003: undergraduate study – University of Ostrava, Faculty of Science, Systematic Biology and Ecology.
- 2004–2007: undergraduate study (MSc) – Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science, Zoology. Diploma thesis: Antipredator behaviour of Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos), (supervisor T.Albrecht).
- 2008–2011: Ph.D. study – Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science, Zoology. Ph.D. thesis: Investment in reproduction and nest defense in waterfowl,(supervisor T.Albrecht).
- 2009–2012: junior researcher – Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science, Department of Zoology,
- 2012–present: research assistant – Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science, Department of Zoology,
- 2013–present: postdoctoral fellow – Institute of Vertebrate Biology, ASCR, Brno, Research facility Studenec.
Actual bachelor and MSc. students
- Bc. Markéta Kyptová: Effect of environmental conditions during wintering and migration on the intensity and pathogenicity of feather bacterial load in Great Reed Warbler Acrocephalus arundinaceus.
- Bc. Lucie Novotná: Temperature-dependent activity of egg-white antimicrobial proteins in precocial and altricial birds.
- Bc. Monika Pokorná: Antimicrobial function of the particular egg-shell components.
- Jan Mengr: Physiological aspects of the variability in egg-shell pigmentation.
Former bachelor students
- Markéta Kyptová, 2013: Diversity and evolutionary significance of feather-degrading bacteria in birds.
- Lucie Novotná, 2013: Role of microorganisms in the evolution of reproductive strategies in birds.
- Martina Nacházelová 2013: Mechanisms of relationship between melanin-based colouration and behavioural. syndromes in birds.